Max's last treatment of Rituxan was Saturday. I am so glad it is over. 8 hours is a long time to spend in the hospital just sitting, while Max mostly sleeps. The only bump this week was that the nurses had a hard time getting he IV in. Finally on attempt #4 they were successful (2 of them trying couldn't get it). This week was nice down time as I was able to finish "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" #2. I started #3 later that night when I got home and finished that one up on Sunday. Now I have to come by #4, the final book, before I go crazy. I love them. Thank you Kim for sending them this way! Max did great, as always. His platelet count was down to 105. We got in earlier, so we were home just after 8:30pm. Much better than the 10 or 10:30 hospital departure times. Today, Tuesday, we went in and followed up with Dr. Bernstein. His count was 65. The doctor was very happy that his last treatment of the WinRho has lasted this long. It will be 4 weeks on Thursday. So home we go and wait until next Tuesday when they will check again. If they have gone down anymore, we will stay in the office and he will get another treatment of WinRho. The Rituxan takes 3-4 weeks after his last treatment so see any results. The proteins in your immunoglobins have a life of 3 months. So, it won't be for another month or so until we would see the affects of the Rituxan. The Rituxan is killing of the immunoglobins, which in turn, will slow down the depletion of his platelets. Kind of confusing, I know. We will be going back every week for the next little while so he can monitor his platelets and eventually, his immunoglobins. Max was so happy to not have a treatment today. We will relish in the weekend when we don't have to spend our Saturday in the hospital, especially now that the weather is getting so nice. Thanks again to all of you for all your love and concern. We love and miss you all and think of you often.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment