2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup honey
2 Tbs salt
5 cups HOT water
~mix~
4 cups whole wheat flour
~mix~
2 Tbs yeast
~mix~
4 cups whole wheat flour
~mix~
*****upto 4 cups white flour*****
*****This is where you are on your own. Depending on where you live and what the weather is like, this part will change. The first time I made it I only used 1 1/2 cups, the second time was 2 1/2 cups. It will vary every time you make it. You want to add it a little bit at a time until the dough pulls away cleanly from the sides of your mixing bowl (I am using a Bosch, NOT hand kneading).
Mix on medium speed for 10 minutes(yes it seems like a long time but is necessary)
Keep covered and let rise for 1 hour.
Using non-stick spray on counter and hand, form into loaves.
(using flour will make your bread drier. This takes away all the stickiness and makes the bread incredibly easy to handle)
This will make 5 - 1lb. loaves
(I use kitchen scale to be sure my loaves are all uniform. I don't have 5 -1lb. pans so I make 2-1lb. loaves and 2 -1 1/2lb. loaves.)
Cover with damp towl and let rise 1 hour, or until 1 1/2 inches above pan.
Cook 1lb loaves for about 30 minutes.**
Cook 1 1/2 lb loaves for about 35 minutes.**
Let cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
Cool completely before putting them in storage bags.
**The time you bake them will differ depending on where you live. My Grandma Edie taught me a way to check if your bread is done. Lick your finger and quickly tap it against the bottom, center of the pan. It should give you a good sizzle sound. To be sure, I carefully tip the bread out briefly to be sure the sides are nice and golden brown. If not, back in it goes.
You can't rush goodness. Let it rise and bake and be patient. If you rush it you won't be happy with the results. I allow myself 3 hours start to finish. Not too long for a little taste of sweet heaven, hot and fresh from the oven.


No comments:
Post a Comment