Sunday morning and we are all running around getting ready for church. I am upstairs in my room finishing Marshall and Simon's hair and Max is downstairs eating frozen waffles for breakfast. Soon Max is upstairs with me, ready to get dressed. He asks me if I smelled something burning. I said I did and that it was probably the crumbs that were in the bottom of toaster buring. He accepted what I said and went to get dressed. 5 minutes later I met him in the hall to ask him if he was ready to have his hair done. I still smelled the burning smell, only it was getting stronger. I happen to look into the boys bathroom and my eye caught a towl that was thrown up onto the vanity lights. (I wonder which of my little munchkins did it?) (the lights after I removed the towel)
Black was coming through the towl and it began to smoke. I grabbed the ironing water bottle and make a feeble attempt to spray the towl, after I turned off the lights, of course. I yelled for Marshall to get me the broom, which I used to lift the towl and put it into the toilet. The bathroom was filled with smoke and it was starting to come out into the upstairs. Holy cow did that smoke burn! Eyes, nose and mouth! I couldn't imagine being in a house that was really on fire. It was horrible. Here I am, covering my eyes with a towl over my nose and mouth, with a broom in my hand. After I got the towl into the toilet, I opened the window and put a box fan in there to clear the smoke. It smelled horrible! The smelled permiated every room, our hair and our clothes. Here is it 8:30 and we are ready to walk out the door to church. I spray on some febreeze and extra perfume and off to church we go. I know our hair and clothes smelled horrible but I wasn't about to change all 3 of us. Somehow I feel really lucky that I wasn't totally on time. Had we left 5 minutes earlier, we would have come home to a house of ashes, I'm sure. Fun little things we get to experience when we have boys!(The towel that could have been the end of our house.)
Monday, July 14, 2008
Up in Smoke!
Posted by
Las Vegas Hulet Family
at
4:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Everyday you make it through unscathed is a miracle with little boys. Yikes. I am soo glad you were late to church! We had a microwave popcorn fire in our microwave (caused by the babysitter, not the boys!) and it took weeks for the smell to go away.
Where was Jeff? Why didn't he help you?
I was busy.
Oh my heavens! That is insane! I knew that sometimes the spirit is the one that whispers "straighten your hair a little more" other wise things like this could go unnoticed!
Post a Comment